Services for International Employees & Scholars
  • Home
  • About_H-1B Department

H-1B Temporary Worker

The H-1B Temporary Worker is designed for individuals coming to the United States to work in a specialty occupation.  A specialty occupation is defined as one that requires, “theoretical and practical application of a body of highly specialized knowledge, and attainment of a bachelor’s or higher degree, or its equivalent, is a minimum requirement.”


H-1B employment is site-specific according to federal law. The H-1B employee may only be employed by the University of Kansas department that submitted the H-1B petition. No other employment, on or off campus, is permitted without separate approval by U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS). The KU employer is responsible for petitioning to USCIS for permission to hire a foreign employee for a particular position. The employee cannot obtain H-1B status on his or her own.

Extensions and Caps

An H-1B petition may be approved for an initial maximum three-year period, and extension of an additional three years, for a total of aggregate period of stay of six years. Even though Congress has placed a limit or cap on the number of new H-1B petitions to be approved for employment in a given year, institutions of higher education, research organizations and some non-profits are excluded from the cap. H-1B petitions filed by the University of Kansas are not subject to the H-1B cap.

International Calendar

One of the first 12 intensive English programs in the United States
Each semester year, the AEC enrolls about 250 students representing more than 35 countries on six continents.
Start working on your degree now! You can take university classes for credit at the same time you are taking English classes.
Earn university credits now! You can use 9 AEC credits as elective credits toward your KU degree in the College of Liberal Arts & Sciences, Business, and Architecture.
Fulfill a university requirement! Completion of your English proficiency requirements means you have finished your foreign language requirement at the University of Kansas.
We have computers just for you! The AEC has its own computer lab that AEC students can use for free.
We have tutoring just for you! The AEC has an Academic Resource Center where AEC students can get free tutoring from AEC teachers.
We have Conversation Groups just for you! You can practice your English language conversation skills at our AEC Conversation Groups.
Need help? Have a question? The AEC has a team of cross-cultural advisors ready to answer your questions and help you with any problem you are facing.
We are experts at what we do! AEC faculty and administrators have a total of 701 years in International Education.