Services for International Employees & Scholars

I-94 and Entry to the U.S.

The I-94: Proof of Legal Entry into the U.S.

When entering the U.S., the Customs Border Protection (CBP) officer examines your passport and visa and then issues either a passport admission stamp or a small white card, called the Form I-94. The passport admission stamp or paper I-94 card indicates how long a scholar or employee is allowed to stay in the U.S. and proves that they arrived in the country legally.

Non-immigrants who arrive in the U.S. by air or sea, should be issued the passport admission stamp. If a scholar or employee has received a passport admission stamp, there will also be an electronic I-94 record. To access this record, visit: This should be printed immediately after arrival.

Non-immigrants who arrive in the U.S. by crossing a land border will continue to receive the paper I-94 card. In this case, there will not be an electronic I-94 record.


Duration of Status (D/S) or Specific End Date

J-1 & J-2: Scholars, employees, and their dependent family members in J status should receive a stamp marked "D/S" or "duration of status." This means that they may remain in the U.S. as long as they continue their research/employment at KU and their DS-2019 (J-1) has not expired.

Employees in H-1B, O-1 or TN status will receive a specific end date on their stamp and this end date will likely match the end date on the I-797 Approval Notice.  If there is a discrepancy in the end date listed on your I-94 and the end date on your I-797 Approval Notice, please contact IP.


More Information

For more information on the new I-94 automation process and passport admission stamps, please review the U.S. Customs and Border Protection Fact Sheet.

International Calendar

Founded in 1964 as part of a Ford Foundation campus internationalization grant
One of the first 12 intensive English programs in the United States
Each semester, the AEC enrolls about 250 students representing more than 35 countries on six continents
The Applied English Center offers field trips and conversation groups to our students
One of 34 U.S. public institutions in the prestigious Association of American Universities
44 nationally ranked graduate programs.
—U.S. News & World Report
Top 50 nationwide for size of library collection.
5th nationwide for service to veterans —"Best for Vets: Colleges," Military Times