As the office designated to handle visa and immigration matters for The University of Kansas, International Support Services works with KU employing departments to prepare H-1B petitions. Department liaisons should download the required intake forms from our website or contact Senior International Employee & Scholar Advisor Keeli Nelson,firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions about the H-1B process. The department liaison will need to gather the required documents to submit to ISS. ISS coordinates all documentation and conducts correspondence with the appropriate government agencies and files all relevant petitions with U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS). If USCIS approves the H-1B employment, USCIS will send the H-1B approval notice (Form I-797) directly to ISS. ISS will provide Form I-797 and appropriate documents to the department and employee.
Hiring/Employing Department Documentation Needed:
- Department Application
- Statement of Actual Wage Form
- Copy of the position description (as approved by HR)
- Copy of the job offer letter
- Department Letter of Support (a draft will be provided to you for printing on department letterhead)
- Notice to U.S. Workers (this will be provided to you for required posting in the worksite for 10 business days)
- Completed Export Control Review: Contact the KU Office of Global Operations & Security and they can provide you with the most up to date form that is required for them to complete an Export Control Review.
- H-1B Filing Fees & KUIA Service Fees
Employee Documentation Needed
ISS will work with the international employee directly to gather the necessary documentation for the H-1B petition. This typically includes documentation of degree(s), current and previous immigration documents, biographical information, and dependent family information.