Free Applied English Center Course
You may now request the Free AEC course through your iHawk account.
- Login to your iHawk account. The website is https://ihawk.ku.edu/istart/controllers/start/start.cfm
- Click on J-1 Scholar Services
- Click on Free Applied English Center course
- Complete the form
- The form will be sent to your faculty supervisor and then to International Programs and the Applied English Center for final approval.
The one free Applied English Center course enrollment request for Visiting Scholars must be submitted 2 weeks prior to the start of the semester. If you cannot meet this deadline, please consider a later semester.
To be eligible you must meet all 3 criteria:
- You must be a J-1 Visiting Scholar at the University of Kansas. KU employees may apply to use the Tuition Assistance program.
- You have never previously taken a course at the Applied English Center at the University of Kansas.
- You must have taken the AEC placement exam immediately prior to the semester of enrollment.
Visiting Scholars must agree to the following terms in order to participate in the free English course:
- I understand that I must take a placement exam prior to enrollment, which the Applied English Center will use to determine my participation in an Applied English Center course.
- I understand and agree to abide by the Code of Student Rights and Responsibilities at the University of Kansas.
- I understand that Applied English Center courses meet four times per week and I am expected to attend every class throughout the semester and follow all AEC Class Rules.
- I understand that as a participant in this class I am not an "auditor" and I must attend class regularly and take responsibility for all homework, assignments, participation, tests, etc. I will abide by all rules set forth in the syllabus. Failure to comply will result in withdrawal of my enrollment at the Applied English Center.
- I understand that a spot in a class is not guaranteed; nor can the AEC guarantee a spot in the class of my choosing.
- I understand that one course at the Applied English Center will be free, any further course enrollment will require me to go through the Applied English Center admission process and I will be charged full tuition and fees.
- I understand that I cannot be enrolled in classes until after admitted students have all been enrolled in AEC courses--typically the end of the second week of the semester.
- I understand that if I pass the placement exam, I cannot enroll in an AEC class.