Services for International Employees & Scholars

H-4 Family Members

Spouses and unmarried children under the age 21 of H-1B's are considered dependents and are eligible for H-4 status.  H-4's are generally not permitted to work* and are not eligible to obtain Social Security Numbers.

H-4's may study in the United States, full-time or part-time, for the duration of the H-1B's period of stay.


*Certain H-4 Dependent Spouses are eligible to apply to USCIS for work authorization, for details please see the USCIS website.  Generally the H-4 spouse is eligible if the following are true regarding the H-1B:

  • Has an approved Form I-140; or
  • Has been granted H-1B status under AC21 (typically this is people who have been in H-1B status longer than six years).

International Calendar

Founded in 1964 as part of a Ford Foundation campus internationalization grant
One of the first 12 intensive English programs in the United States
Each semester, the AEC enrolls about 250 students representing more than 35 countries on six continents
The Applied English Center offers field trips and conversation groups to our students
One of 34 U.S. public institutions in the prestigious Association of American Universities
44 nationally ranked graduate programs.
—U.S. News & World Report
Top 50 nationwide for size of library collection.
5th nationwide for service to veterans —"Best for Vets: Colleges," Military Times