Services for International Employees & Scholars

Family Resources

Being separated from your family can be extremely difficult.  If you would like to invite your family to visit you in the United States, please check your visa category for details about bringing dependents. If your children are here with you, they are most likely required to attend school.  Please check the School Enrollment section of our website.

Work Authorization

If your spouse wishes to work in the United States, s/he might be eligible to apply for work authorization with their current visa  status.  For more information, please consult with an advisor in International Programs or International Student Services.  If they are outside the United States, you might wish to contact an advisor in International Programs to talk about possible visa options.


If your spouse decides to pursue a degree program or wants to take classes, they need to consult with the proper admitting unit at KU.

Small World of Lawrence»

One of the largest support networks for international families, especially wives, is the Small World of Lawrence organization.  They offer English language classes.  The volunteers that support this organization are extremely friendly and very helpful.

International Calendar

Founded in 1964 as part of a Ford Foundation campus internationalization grant
One of the first 12 intensive English programs in the United States
Each semester, the AEC enrolls about 250 students representing more than 35 countries on six continents
The Applied English Center offers field trips and conversation groups to our students
One of 34 U.S. public institutions in the prestigious Association of American Universities
44 nationally ranked graduate programs.
—U.S. News & World Report
Top 50 nationwide for size of library collection.
5th nationwide for service to veterans —"Best for Vets: Colleges," Military Times