Services for International Employees & Scholars

H-1B Temporary Worker

H-1B is an immigration status designed for individuals coming to the United States to work in a specialty occupation.  A specialty occupation is defined as one that requires, “theoretical and practical application of a body of highly specialized knowledge, and attainment of a bachelor’s or higher degree, or its equivalent, is a minimum requirement.”  The H-1B is temporary, an H-1B petition may be approved for an initial maximum three-year period, and extension of an additional three years, for a total of aggregate period of stay of six years.


According to federal law, each H-1B is specific to the following items:

  • Duties
  • Salary
  • Worksite Location
  • Employer

If any of these items are changing, check with International Programs, a new H-1B petition may need to be filed.  An H-1B employee may only be employed by the University of Kansas for the position, duties, and worksite location that was submitted on the H-1B petition. No other employment, on or off campus, is permitted without separate approval by U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS). KU is responsible for filing an H-1B petition with USCIS requesting permission to hire a foreign employee for a particular position. An employee cannot obtain H-1B status on his or her own.

International Calendar

Founded in 1964 as part of a Ford Foundation campus internationalization grant
One of the first 12 intensive English programs in the United States
Each semester, the AEC enrolls about 250 students representing more than 35 countries on six continents
The Applied English Center offers field trips and conversation groups to our students
One of 34 U.S. public institutions in the prestigious Association of American Universities
44 nationally ranked graduate programs.
—U.S. News & World Report
Top 50 nationwide for size of library collection.
5th nationwide for service to veterans —"Best for Vets: Colleges," Military Times