As a J-1, you are eligible to bring your spouse or unmarried minor child in J-2 dependent status, or they can accompany you at a later date. A minor child is under the age of 21. J-2 dependents have the following benefits at KU:
- May enter the United States along with or after the J-1, but not before.
- May be employed with approval from U.S. Customs and Immigration Services by applying for and receiving an Employment Authorization Document (EAD).
- May study at a University in the U.S.
- May apply and be admitted into a degree program at KU.
Inviting a J-2 dependent
If you would like to invite your spouse or unmarried child after arriving at KU, please log into iHawk» to submit a "J-1 Scholar Add Dependent(s)" request form. You will need the following:
- Proof of financial support - the current funding levels for J-1 scholars is $1,000.00 per month for the duration of program, plus $350.00 per month per dependent. If your current funding levels surpass this requirement than additional funding will not be necessary.
- Dependent(s) passport photo page.
- Make sure you have supporting documentation.
- Log into iHawk and complete the "J-1 Scholar Add Dependent" e-form for each dependent. It can be found under J-1 Scholar Services.
- Submit request and supporting documentation through e-form.
- Upon approval, you will receive an email notification to pick up the new DS-2019 form.
J-2 Work Authorization
J-2 dependents are eligible to apply for a work permit during the J-1’s stay. Be aware that a J-2 dependent cannot apply for work permission until they are physically present in the United States. Furthermore, they cannot begin work until they possess the Employment Authorization Document from U.S. Custom and Immigration Services. Typical processing time for the Employment Authorization Document is about 90 days, but it can take longer, so please plan accordingly.
- Application Fee of $410 payable to "U.S. Department of Homeland Security." Please check USCIS website» in case of fee changes.
- Completed Form I-765, Application for Employment» - please note the answer to question 16 should be (c) (5).
- 2 full frontal/passport photographs
- print your name and I-94 number in pencil on the back of the photo
- do NOT put a staple through the photo
- do NOT trim the photo
- Brief letter explaining circumstances requiring employment with any supporting evidence showing employment is not necessary to support J-1 but is for other purposes. Sample(pdf)
- Copy of J-2's I-94 record
- Copy of J-2's visa stamp
- Copy of J-2's passport biographical page
- Copy of expiration date page in passport if not included in biographical page
- Copy of J-2's DS-2019 Form
- Copy of J-1's passport, I-94 record, DS-2019 and visa.
- Send completed packet to USCIS. Look up address on USCIS website» for up to date address information
As always, it is also recommended that you retain copies of all documents sent to and received from the USCIS. Mail the application in a traceable manner.