As a J-1 research scholar, professor or short-term scholar there are numerous regulations that must be followed to maintain legal J status:
- Complete online check-in through your iHawk account»
- Attend New Scholar Orientation with International Programs after arrival in the United States.
- Maintain health insurance coverage throughout entire period of J status. Health insurance must meet U.S. Department of State requirements.
- Maintain valid passport at all times.
- Maintain valid DS-2019, which accurately reflects your purpose for being at KU. If it is close to expiring, request an extension from host department.
- Obtain travel signature on DS-2019 prior to traveling outside the United States.
- Report any life event that may affect immigration status such as birth of a child, marriage, change of legal name, divorce or death. This rule also extends to J-2 dependents.
- Receive employment authorization prior to the start of any activity.
- Report any change of address through your iHawk account within 10 days.