Services for International Employees & Scholars

Maintain H-1B Status

Keep Your Address Current With USCIS

All H-1B's are required to report a change of address by completing Form AR-11 with USCIS (United States Citizenship and Immigration Services) within 10 days of moving.  You can file the AR-11 with USCIS online 

In addition to notifying USCIS, please update your address information in "HR Pay Self Service" so that your tax forms are sent to the correct location.


Maintain Your Employment Activities & Report Anticipated Changes

Your H-1B status is dependent upon continuous employment.  H-1B petitions are employer and position specific, which means that you are authorized by USCIS to work only at KU in a specific position.  International Programs must be consulted prior to any changes in H-1B employment such as job titles, job duties, salary, percentage of time, or location.  Filing an amended H-1B petition may be required under certain circumstances.


No Outside Employment

H-1B employees may not accept compensation, including honoraria, from any other entity besides KU.  Individuals in H-1B status invited to give a lecture, collaborate, conduct research, or present at another institution can receive reimbursement for reasonable living and transportation costs only, no honorarium are permitted.


No Gaps in Employment

If you will be leaving KU for another H-1B employer, or joining KU from another H-1B employer, please remember that no gap in employment is permitted while in H-1B status.  There is no grace period for H-1B's in the U.S.

International Calendar

Founded in 1964 as part of a Ford Foundation campus internationalization grant
One of the first 12 intensive English programs in the United States
Each semester, the AEC enrolls about 250 students representing more than 35 countries on six continents
The Applied English Center offers field trips and conversation groups to our students
One of 34 U.S. public institutions in the prestigious Association of American Universities
44 nationally ranked graduate programs.
—U.S. News & World Report
Top 50 nationwide for size of library collection.
5th nationwide for service to veterans —"Best for Vets: Colleges," Military Times