Services for International Employees & Scholars

12- and 24-Month Bar

These bars restrict starting a J-1 research scholar or J-1 professor exchange visitor program.  The 24-month bar is different than the 2-year home residency requirement.

12-month bar

Time spent in the United States in any J status (including J-2) during the 12-months preceding the start date of the new professor or research scholar program may prohibit eligibility to begin the new program.  Exceptions to this bar are:

  • Transfer between program sponsors does not trigger the bar.
  • Less than 6 months in J status does not trigger the bar. 
  • Participation in a J Short-term scholar program does not trigger the bar.

24-month bar

Anyone who participates in a J-1 Professor or J-1 Research Scholar program will become subject to a 24-month bar on repeat participation in both Professor and Research Scholar categories.  This restriction applies under two circumstances:

  1. If the Professor or Research Scholar completes a full five years with one or more sponsors.
  2. If, before the full five-year period is over, the Professor or Research Scholar completes the program.  In this case the remaining unused time is no longer accessible and must wait 24 months before beginning a new program as a J-1 Professor or Research Scholar

The 24-month bar should not be confused with the two-year home residency requirement.  These are two completely different regulations.

The two-year home residency requirement may apply to visitors in any J category.  The 24-month bar only applies to J-1 Research Scholar or Professor categories or as a J-2 dependent of a J-1 Professor or Research Scholar.

International Calendar

One of the first 12 intensive English programs in the United States
Each semester year, the AEC enrolls about 250 students representing more than 35 countries on six continents.
Start working on your degree now! You can take university classes for credit at the same time you are taking English classes.
Earn university credits now! You can use 9 AEC credits as elective credits toward your KU degree in the College of Liberal Arts & Sciences, Business, and Architecture.
Fulfill a university requirement! Completion of your English proficiency requirements means you have finished your foreign language requirement at the University of Kansas.
We have computers just for you! The AEC has its own computer lab that AEC students can use for free.
We have tutoring just for you! The AEC has an Academic Resource Center where AEC students can get free tutoring from AEC teachers.
We have Conversation Groups just for you! You can practice your English language conversation skills at our AEC Conversation Groups.
Need help? Have a question? The AEC has a team of cross-cultural advisors ready to answer your questions and help you with any problem you are facing.
We are experts at what we do! AEC faculty and administrators have a total of 701 years in International Education.