Services for International Employees & Scholars

2-Year Home Residency Requirement

One of the most commonly misunderstood aspects of the J Exchange Visitor Program is the 2 Year Home Residency Requirement.  This rule which is put in place by the U.S. State Department (and in some circumstances in collaboration with foreign governments) requires that certain J Exchange Visitors return to their country of last legal residence for two years or obtain a waiver of this requirement before they are eligible for H-1B (temporary employment), L-1 (intracompany transfer), K (fiancee visa) or Permanent Residence (green card) status within the U.S.

It is important to understand that not all J Exchange Visitors are subject to this requirement.  Additionally those that are subject to this requirement are not prohibited from returning to the U.S. in immigration statuses other than H-1B, L-1, K, or PR.  For example if you are subject to this rule and would like to return to the U.S. as a tourist or a student you are eligible to do so.

Who is subject to the requirement?

J-1 Exchange Visitors and their J-2 dependents (legal spouse and children under age 21) who meet at least one of the criteria below are subject to the 212(e):

  • Home Government Funding: J Exchange Visitors who receive funding directly from their home country's government are subject to the 212(e) requirement. Regional government funding does not apply.
  • U.S. Government Funding: J Exchange Visitors who receive funding directly from the U.S. government are "subject" to 212(e).  This does not include salary you receive from the University of Kansas that is received from federal grants, only direct U.S. government funds. However, there are some exceptions which include grants that are specifically targeted for international exchange. Fulbright funding is considered U.S. government funding.
  • Funding from an International Organization or Bi-National Commission: J Exchange Visitors who receive funding from International Organizations or Bi-National Commissions (organizations that receive their funding from government sources), such as, United Nations, NATO, or the European Community.
  • The Exchange Visitor Skills List: J Exchange Visitors whose area of specialization has been identified as being in short supply by his/her government of legal permanent residence is considered "subject" to the Two Year Home Residency Requirement.
  • Graduate Medical Education and Training: All J Exchange Visitors who are foreign medical graduates who come to the U.S. to receive graduate medical education and/or training are subject to 212(e).

Are J-2 Dependents subject?

If you are the J-2 dependent of a J-1 Exchange Visitor who is subject to the 212(e) requirement you are also subject to this requirement. Please note that J-2 dependents must rely on the J-1 to apply for a waiver of the 212(e) requirement. J-2s may not apply for the waiver separately from the J-1.

What should I do if I am not certain if I am subject to 212(e)?

There is often confusion about whether or not individuals are subject to 212(e).  Do not assume that your visa stamp or DS-2019 have been marked correctly by U.S. government agencies.  If any of the above statements are correct, you are subject, whether or not your documents are marked.  If you have confusion we strongly encourage you to come to speak with an advisor in International Programs.  We can assist you in the process of requesting an Advisory Opinion from the U.S. Department of State.

I would like to pursue a waiver of 212(e).

IMPORTANT: it may be possible to waive this requirement, if you wish to do so please make an appointment with an international advisor in International Programs before you begin the waiver process.

International Calendar

One of the first 12 intensive English programs in the United States
Each semester year, the AEC enrolls about 250 students representing more than 35 countries on six continents.
Start working on your degree now! You can take university classes for credit at the same time you are taking English classes.
Earn university credits now! You can use 9 AEC credits as elective credits toward your KU degree in the College of Liberal Arts & Sciences, Business, and Architecture.
Fulfill a university requirement! Completion of your English proficiency requirements means you have finished your foreign language requirement at the University of Kansas.
We have computers just for you! The AEC has its own computer lab that AEC students can use for free.
We have tutoring just for you! The AEC has an Academic Resource Center where AEC students can get free tutoring from AEC teachers.
We have Conversation Groups just for you! You can practice your English language conversation skills at our AEC Conversation Groups.
Need help? Have a question? The AEC has a team of cross-cultural advisors ready to answer your questions and help you with any problem you are facing.
We are experts at what we do! AEC faculty and administrators have a total of 701 years in International Education.