Services for International Employees & Scholars

2-year Home Residency Requirement

Some J-1 Exchange Visitors are subject to the two year home country physical presence requirement.  Being subject means that  once the J-1 program is complete the individual must reside and be present in their home country for an aggregate of 2 years to be eligible for certain immigration benefits.  If your scholar has this 2-year home residency requirement, then any accompanying J-2 dependents will also have this requirement.

Effects of being subject:

  1. Not eligible for an immigrant visa or adjustment of status to permanent resident.
  2. Not eligible for an H, L or K visas.
  3. Not eligible to change status inside United States from J to any other nonimmigrant category

Note:  eligible to return to the U.S. as a tourist or student.

Ways to be subject:

  1. U.S. Department of State Skills List - home country of permanent residency and field of work are identified by your home government as being in short supply and consequently listed on the U.S. Department of State’s Education Visitor’s skills list».
  2. Government Funding -  receive any direct funding from your home government or a U.S government agency at any point during your J-1 program
  3. Graduate Medical Training - receiving graduate medical education or training on J-1 visa sponsored by the Educational Commission on Foreign Medical Graduates (ECFMG).

Determining requirement:

In some instances, you will find the notation: “bearer is (is not) subject to 212(e) home residency rule” on your J-1 visa stamp and a second notation on your DS-2019 form.  This notation is not a final determination and in some cases is issued in error. If you think the notation is in error, contact an International Program advisor.

IMPORTANT: it may be possible to waive this requirement, if you wish to do so please make an appointment with an international advisor in International Programs before you begin the waiver process.

International Calendar

One of the first 12 intensive English programs in the United States
Each semester year, the AEC enrolls about 250 students representing more than 35 countries on six continents.
Start working on your degree now! You can take university classes for credit at the same time you are taking English classes.
Earn university credits now! You can use 9 AEC credits as elective credits toward your KU degree in the College of Liberal Arts & Sciences, Business, and Architecture.
Fulfill a university requirement! Completion of your English proficiency requirements means you have finished your foreign language requirement at the University of Kansas.
We have computers just for you! The AEC has its own computer lab that AEC students can use for free.
We have tutoring just for you! The AEC has an Academic Resource Center where AEC students can get free tutoring from AEC teachers.
We have Conversation Groups just for you! You can practice your English language conversation skills at our AEC Conversation Groups.
Need help? Have a question? The AEC has a team of cross-cultural advisors ready to answer your questions and help you with any problem you are facing.
We are experts at what we do! AEC faculty and administrators have a total of 701 years in International Education.