Services for International Employees & Scholars


Permanent Residency (PR), often referred to as a green card, authorizes a foreign national to live and work in the United States indefinitely.  There are various means through which people may apply for green cards; family-based petitions, National Interest Waivers, Diversity Visa Lottery and Employment-Based petitions.

The University of Kansas International Support Services office facilitates the Employment-Based petitions of eligible employees in both Employment-Based first preference (EB-1-2) and Employment-Based second preference (EB-2) categories. For eligibility criteria please see the KU Policy on Immigration Related Petitions.

Processing Overview

Stage 1:  Labor Certification

                        Standard Labor Certification for non-teaching positions (EB-2)

                        Special Handling Labor Certification for teaching positions (EB-2)

NOTE:  Outstanding Professor/Researcher (EB-1-2) petitions skip the Labor Certification stage

Stage 2: Immigrant Visa Petition (I-140)

Stage 3: Adjustment of Status Application (I-485)

Processing Note

All employment-based PR applications filed by KU must be processed by, or directed by, International Programs.  Hiring departments may not prepare or sign immigration documents or labor certification applications.  Outside attorneys may not prepare or file applications or petitions on behalf of KU unless previously approved by International Programs.


While most university-sponsored applications are successfully adjudicated, International Support Services cannot guarantee a green card to an employee.  The permanent residency application process can take years to complete, depending on the type of case and fluctuations in government agency processing times.  During the entire PR process, until the employee is granted a green card, it is strongly recommended that the employee maintain his/her nonimmigrant status (e.g. H-1B, J-1, O-1, TN) by requesting an extension of stay.

International Calendar

One of the first 12 intensive English programs in the United States
Each semester year, the AEC enrolls about 250 students representing more than 35 countries on six continents.
Start working on your degree now! You can take university classes for credit at the same time you are taking English classes.
Earn university credits now! You can use 9 AEC credits as elective credits toward your KU degree in the College of Liberal Arts & Sciences, Business, and Architecture.
Fulfill a university requirement! Completion of your English proficiency requirements means you have finished your foreign language requirement at the University of Kansas.
We have computers just for you! The AEC has its own computer lab that AEC students can use for free.
We have tutoring just for you! The AEC has an Academic Resource Center where AEC students can get free tutoring from AEC teachers.
We have Conversation Groups just for you! You can practice your English language conversation skills at our AEC Conversation Groups.
Need help? Have a question? The AEC has a team of cross-cultural advisors ready to answer your questions and help you with any problem you are facing.
We are experts at what we do! AEC faculty and administrators have a total of 701 years in International Education.