Services for International Employees & Scholars

Eligibility Requirements

The J-1 scholar program promotes mutual understanding between people of the United States and people of other countries by education and cultural exchange.  The Exchange Visitor Program Participant Welcome Brochure» contains contact information for the U.S. Department of Sate Exchange Visitor Program, Bureau of Cultural Affairs, Private Sector Program Division which designates all program sponsors including the University of Kansas.

  • Minimum Funding Requirements
    A minimum of $1,300.00 per month is required to support a scholar at the University of Kansas. An additional $550 per month is required for a spouse, and each accompanying child.
  • KU Appointment Requirement
    All scholars are required to hold a formal appointment at the University of Kansas, such as Visiting Faculty, Postdoctoral Researchers, Fellows, as well as other temporary academic appointments.  The J-1 visa can not be used for tenure-track appointments.
  • English Language Ability Requirement
    The scholar must posses English language ability to successfully participate in his/her program and function in the United States on a day-to-day basis.

Please note: if you do not have a KU department host, then your first step is to contact departments and inquire if they are willing and able to host your research/teaching agenda. Once a KU department agrees to host your program, they will submit information to International Programs.  You will soon receive request to submit information through our iHawk management system.  You will be submit information about yourself, previous visits to the United States, funding information and English language ability.


International Calendar

One of the first 12 intensive English programs in the United States
Each semester year, the AEC enrolls about 250 students representing more than 35 countries on six continents.
Start working on your degree now! You can take university classes for credit at the same time you are taking English classes.
Earn university credits now! You can use 9 AEC credits as elective credits toward your KU degree in the College of Liberal Arts & Sciences, Business, and Architecture.
Fulfill a university requirement! Completion of your English proficiency requirements means you have finished your foreign language requirement at the University of Kansas.
We have computers just for you! The AEC has its own computer lab that AEC students can use for free.
We have tutoring just for you! The AEC has an Academic Resource Center where AEC students can get free tutoring from AEC teachers.
We have Conversation Groups just for you! You can practice your English language conversation skills at our AEC Conversation Groups.
Need help? Have a question? The AEC has a team of cross-cultural advisors ready to answer your questions and help you with any problem you are facing.
We are experts at what we do! AEC faculty and administrators have a total of 701 years in International Education.