Services for International Employees & Scholars
  • Home
  • Legal Matters
  • Driver's License

Driver's License

Being able to drive a car may be beneficial during your stay in Kansas as you may find public transportation options in Lawrence to be somewhat limited.

International Driver's License

An International Driver's License is considered a translation of your home country driver's license and subsequently is only valid for 90 days in the state of Kansas.  If you will be in Kansas for more than 90 days and will drive frequently or will purchase a vehicle, you must apply for a state of Kansas driver's license.

Out-of-State or Foreign Driver's License

If you have a driver's license from your home country or from another U.S. State and you wish to continue driving in Kansas, be advised that you are expected to obtain a Kansas Driver's License within 90 days of establishing residency in Kansas. Also remember that your home country driver's license may not be in English. If you need the license for identity purposes or if you are pulled over by police, they may not be able to understand what the license permits. We strongly suggest you translate your license into English.

Obtaining a State of Kansas Driver's License

You can obtain a state-issued driver license at the local DMV .

Douglas County Office:

1035 N. 3rd Street

Suite 122

Lawrence, Kansas 66044


Hours of Operation:  7 a.m. to 5:45 p.m. Tuesday – Friday

Please review the website before going in person.  You are required to bring documents that establish your legal presence in the U.S. and documents that establish your residency in the state of Kansas. You may be required to take a written test regarding Kansas traffic laws, an eye test and/or a driving test. You will want to review the Kansas Driving Handbook» prior to taking the written exam. When you go to apply, you will need to take your relevant immigration documents (for example your passport, I-94 record, H-1B I-797 Approval Notice or DS-2019), and proof of Lawrence residency. Please visit the State of Kansas Department of Revenue» to determine what type of documentation you can use to prove residency in Lawrence.

State of Kansas Identity Card

If you don't anticipate driving in the U.S., you can apply for a State of Kansas Identity Card.  The State of Kansas Identity Card is official government identification. The application process for a State of Kansas Identity Card through the local DMV office. 

International Calendar

One of the first 12 intensive English programs in the United States
Each semester year, the AEC enrolls about 250 students representing more than 35 countries on six continents.
Start working on your degree now! You can take university classes for credit at the same time you are taking English classes.
Earn university credits now! You can use 9 AEC credits as elective credits toward your KU degree in the College of Liberal Arts & Sciences, Business, and Architecture.
Fulfill a university requirement! Completion of your English proficiency requirements means you have finished your foreign language requirement at the University of Kansas.
We have computers just for you! The AEC has its own computer lab that AEC students can use for free.
We have tutoring just for you! The AEC has an Academic Resource Center where AEC students can get free tutoring from AEC teachers.
We have Conversation Groups just for you! You can practice your English language conversation skills at our AEC Conversation Groups.
Need help? Have a question? The AEC has a team of cross-cultural advisors ready to answer your questions and help you with any problem you are facing.
We are experts at what we do! AEC faculty and administrators have a total of 701 years in International Education.