Services for International Employees & Scholars


Employing units can request an extension of employment for a current H-1B employee if the employee has not used the full six years of eligible H-1B status. In limited circumstances some employees may be eligible to obtain an extension beyond six years. Please contact Keeli Nelson,, for information regarding exceptions.

The cost to file an H-1B extension is $555, filing fee for Form I-129. Essentially the entire H-1B petition process is repeated. Another prevailing wage determination and certified LCA are needed. ISS shall submit Form I-129 with a request to extend H-1B stay, certified LCA, departmental support letter, and the beneficiary's supporting documentation to UCSIS California Service Center for adjudication.

When the H-1B Approval Notice (Form I-797A) is received, IP will notify the hiring department and employee.

For payroll purposes, if the employer has timely filed an H-1B petition with a request for extension of stay, the employee may continue employment at KU for a period not to exceed 240 days beyond the expiration of the prior period of authorized stay. Work authorization must be re-verified. The department personnel representative or the international employee will need to complete a new Form I-9 and submit supporting documents to the International Payroll Office. Visit Non-U.S. Citizen Employment for more information.

International Calendar

One of the first 12 intensive English programs in the United States
Each semester year, the AEC enrolls about 250 students representing more than 35 countries on six continents.
Start working on your degree now! You can take university classes for credit at the same time you are taking English classes.
Earn university credits now! You can use 9 AEC credits as elective credits toward your KU degree in the College of Liberal Arts & Sciences, Business, and Architecture.
Fulfill a university requirement! Completion of your English proficiency requirements means you have finished your foreign language requirement at the University of Kansas.
We have computers just for you! The AEC has its own computer lab that AEC students can use for free.
We have tutoring just for you! The AEC has an Academic Resource Center where AEC students can get free tutoring from AEC teachers.
We have Conversation Groups just for you! You can practice your English language conversation skills at our AEC Conversation Groups.
Need help? Have a question? The AEC has a team of cross-cultural advisors ready to answer your questions and help you with any problem you are facing.
We are experts at what we do! AEC faculty and administrators have a total of 701 years in International Education.