Services for International Employees & Scholars

Eligibility Requirements

The H-1B Temporary Worker visa is designed for individuals coming to the United States to work in a "specialty occupation". 

Specialty Occupation

A specialty occupation is defined as one that requires, “theoretical and practical application of a body of highly specialized knowledge, and attainment of a bachelor’s or higher degree, or its equivalent, is a minimum requirement.” The hiring department must provide documentation to prove that the job requires someone with specialized qualification and that the international employee meets those qualifications.

Wage Requirements

In addition to position requirements, there will be minimum wage requirements specific to each H-1B petition.  The hiring department will work with International Programs on the minimum requried wages for the specific position as set by the U.S. Department of Labor


The United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) makes the final decision as to whether the individual and position qualifies for the H-1B visa classification. International Programs files the H-1B petition with USCIS for consideration and adjudication.

Employer Specific

Each H-1B petition is employer specific, this means that each USCIS approved petition that was submitted by IP authorizes the employee to work only in the position specified by the petition.  An individual who has an H-1B approved from another employer is not eligibile to work at KU until a new H-1B petition has been filed by IP at KU.  An H-1B worker may work for more than one employer at the same time, however, each employer must file a separate H-1B petition.

International Calendar

One of the first 12 intensive English programs in the United States
Each semester year, the AEC enrolls about 250 students representing more than 35 countries on six continents.
Start working on your degree now! You can take university classes for credit at the same time you are taking English classes.
Earn university credits now! You can use 9 AEC credits as elective credits toward your KU degree in the College of Liberal Arts & Sciences, Business, and Architecture.
Fulfill a university requirement! Completion of your English proficiency requirements means you have finished your foreign language requirement at the University of Kansas.
We have computers just for you! The AEC has its own computer lab that AEC students can use for free.
We have tutoring just for you! The AEC has an Academic Resource Center where AEC students can get free tutoring from AEC teachers.
We have Conversation Groups just for you! You can practice your English language conversation skills at our AEC Conversation Groups.
Need help? Have a question? The AEC has a team of cross-cultural advisors ready to answer your questions and help you with any problem you are facing.
We are experts at what we do! AEC faculty and administrators have a total of 701 years in International Education.