Services for International Employees & Scholars


When moving to a new country where you live will impact your life tremendously.  Your considerations should include the distance to your KU department, where you will buy food, where will you have fun, will you be able to access public transportation, and will you be able to afford living there.  If your family accompanies you, the number of variables increases.

Renter's Insurance

It is important to consider purchasing renter's insurance while in the United States.  Generally, a landlord is not legally responsible for loss or damage to a renter's property. Also, if a renter causes damage to the landlord's property, even unintentionally, the landlord may have the right to hold the renter financially responsible.  In both of these cases, renter's insurance would protect the renter from having to pay potentially very large amounts of money.  There are many insurance companies, here are two:


State Farm»

On Campus or Off Campus

You need to know if you want to live on campus or close to campus.  Unfortunately on-campus living options are very limited as they are designed for KU students.  Please visit the On Campus section for more information.  Almost all scholars/employees choose to live near campus.

Physically See the Property

Never pay money or sign a lease contact without physically viewing the property.  This means that you will not find long-term housing until after your arrival.  Your visa category might allow you to enter the U.S. early, if possible, we strongly recommend you do so to use that time find a place to live.

Location, Location, Location

Public transportation in Lawrence is limited to a bus system.  It is designed to bring people to campus.  This means that during the semester, Monday through Friday, buses are very frequent.  However, on Saturday they are not as frequent and there is no bus service on Sundays.  Many of our scholars/employees decide to live farther away from campus and take the bus to campus Monday through Friday and live within walking distance to grocery stores and recreation areas.

International Calendar

One of the first 12 intensive English programs in the United States
Each semester year, the AEC enrolls about 250 students representing more than 35 countries on six continents.
Start working on your degree now! You can take university classes for credit at the same time you are taking English classes.
Earn university credits now! You can use 9 AEC credits as elective credits toward your KU degree in the College of Liberal Arts & Sciences, Business, and Architecture.
Fulfill a university requirement! Completion of your English proficiency requirements means you have finished your foreign language requirement at the University of Kansas.
We have computers just for you! The AEC has its own computer lab that AEC students can use for free.
We have tutoring just for you! The AEC has an Academic Resource Center where AEC students can get free tutoring from AEC teachers.
We have Conversation Groups just for you! You can practice your English language conversation skills at our AEC Conversation Groups.
Need help? Have a question? The AEC has a team of cross-cultural advisors ready to answer your questions and help you with any problem you are facing.
We are experts at what we do! AEC faculty and administrators have a total of 701 years in International Education.