Services for International Employees & Scholars

J-1 Extension

If the department wishes to extend the stay of a visiting scholar, they may request an extension of the visiting scholar’s J-1 status.  The KU department request must be submitted through iHawk. The following conditions must be met before an extension can be approved.

  • The program must not extend beyond the maximum duration (6 months to 5 years depending on the J scholar category).
  • The program activity (research activity or teaching activity) will not change.
  • Scholar must provide proof of additional financial support covering the full extension time period.
  • Scholar must provide proof of health insurance coverage for extension time period.

International Calendar

One of the first 12 intensive English programs in the United States
Each semester year, the AEC enrolls about 250 students representing more than 35 countries on six continents.
Start working on your degree now! You can take university classes for credit at the same time you are taking English classes.
Earn university credits now! You can use 9 AEC credits as elective credits toward your KU degree in the College of Liberal Arts & Sciences, Business, and Architecture.
Fulfill a university requirement! Completion of your English proficiency requirements means you have finished your foreign language requirement at the University of Kansas.
We have computers just for you! The AEC has its own computer lab that AEC students can use for free.
We have tutoring just for you! The AEC has an Academic Resource Center where AEC students can get free tutoring from AEC teachers.
We have Conversation Groups just for you! You can practice your English language conversation skills at our AEC Conversation Groups.
Need help? Have a question? The AEC has a team of cross-cultural advisors ready to answer your questions and help you with any problem you are facing.
We are experts at what we do! AEC faculty and administrators have a total of 701 years in International Education.