Services for International Employees & Scholars

KU/United Healthcare plan

The University of Kansas offers health insurance to international students and international J scholars. The health insurance company that administers the plan is called United Healthcare.  As of August 1, 2020 all new incoming J-1 Visiting Scholars are required to use the United Healthcare plan. New J-1 employees that are eligible for the State Employee Health Plan should use the State Employee Health Plan. One of the benefits of this plan is that you can enroll monthly instead of annually, and you can purchase additional insurance such as dental and vision coverage. If you wish to add dental or vision you will submit a seperate enrollment form.



The monthly cost for this United Healthtcare is $205. When you submit the enrollment form you will have two options, pay one month, or multiple months. If you select one month, then you will need to submit an enrollment form every month.

To enroll in United Healthcare insurance, please complete this online enrollment form. Once you complete and submit the enrollment form your eligibility will be verified by International Support Services. Within 3-5 business days, you will receive a payment link and will be able to pay via credit card. For additional information about the insurance policy please read the United Healthcare brochure. Please note that it will use the word student, but J-1 visiting scholars are eligible for this insurance and need to use this insurance.


International Calendar

One of the first 12 intensive English programs in the United States
Each semester year, the AEC enrolls about 250 students representing more than 35 countries on six continents.
Start working on your degree now! You can take university classes for credit at the same time you are taking English classes.
Earn university credits now! You can use 9 AEC credits as elective credits toward your KU degree in the College of Liberal Arts & Sciences, Business, and Architecture.
Fulfill a university requirement! Completion of your English proficiency requirements means you have finished your foreign language requirement at the University of Kansas.
We have computers just for you! The AEC has its own computer lab that AEC students can use for free.
We have tutoring just for you! The AEC has an Academic Resource Center where AEC students can get free tutoring from AEC teachers.
We have Conversation Groups just for you! You can practice your English language conversation skills at our AEC Conversation Groups.
Need help? Have a question? The AEC has a team of cross-cultural advisors ready to answer your questions and help you with any problem you are facing.
We are experts at what we do! AEC faculty and administrators have a total of 701 years in International Education.