Services for International Employees & Scholars

Occasional Lecture and Consultations

Employment opportunities

Work authorization is limited for J-1 scholars.  Very often the only type of work authorization that can be approved is when your hosting department wants to hire you to perform your specific program activities (research/teaching). If you have an opportunity for employment, please contact International Programs immediately.  Work authorization must be pre-approved.  International Programs will write a formal authorization letter and add this information to your SEVIS record.

Academic Honorarium

Sometimes a department or another university wishes to pay a J-1 scholar an academic honorarium. For example you could give a one-time talk or presentation and the institution wishes to compensate you for the activity. This is considered remuneration and needs to be pre-approved by International Programs. Please contact International Programs before you accept.  International Programs will write a formal authorization letter.

Reimbursement of travel expenses

If a conference, seminar, workshop or any organization wishes to reimburse you for travel expenses please contact International Programs before you accept. This type of reimbursement of expenses isn’t usually considered remuneration, however, it can be complicated.  Please contact International Programs and we can write an authorization letter so that there is no confusion about you accepting the reimbursement. Sometimes the conference or institution will require an authorization letter to release funds.

Other funding scenarios

If you have a different funding opportunity, please contact International Programs.  We will determine what, if any, written authorization needs to happen before you accept the funding while you are a J-1 scholar.

Documentation for authorization letter

  • Letter from faculty advisor or department head recommending the activity and explaining how the activity will enhance the scholar’s J-1 program.
  • Letter from the institution/conference with terms and conditions, including street address of where the activity will take place, the duration of the activity, field or subject, amount of compensation (if any), and description of the activity.

International Calendar

One of the first 12 intensive English programs in the United States
Each semester year, the AEC enrolls about 250 students representing more than 35 countries on six continents.
Start working on your degree now! You can take university classes for credit at the same time you are taking English classes.
Earn university credits now! You can use 9 AEC credits as elective credits toward your KU degree in the College of Liberal Arts & Sciences, Business, and Architecture.
Fulfill a university requirement! Completion of your English proficiency requirements means you have finished your foreign language requirement at the University of Kansas.
We have computers just for you! The AEC has its own computer lab that AEC students can use for free.
We have tutoring just for you! The AEC has an Academic Resource Center where AEC students can get free tutoring from AEC teachers.
We have Conversation Groups just for you! You can practice your English language conversation skills at our AEC Conversation Groups.
Need help? Have a question? The AEC has a team of cross-cultural advisors ready to answer your questions and help you with any problem you are facing.
We are experts at what we do! AEC faculty and administrators have a total of 701 years in International Education.