Services for International Employees & Scholars

Applying for a Visa

 All international scholars, employees, and their accompanying family members, are required to obtain a U.S. visa stamp issued by a United States embassy or consulate in their passport in order to enter the United States.*  Prior to applying for a U.S. visa stamp, international scholars, employees and family members must have the necessary sponsorship documents provided by the Office of International Programs at KU, in order to apply for the visa stamp (Form DS-2019 for J applicants, Form I-797 for H-1B applicants). A visa stamp in your passport issued by a U.S. consulate/embassy determines when,how often, and in what immigration (visa) category you can enter the U.S.  But it does not determine how long you can stay in the United States once you have entered. Your length of stay in the U.S. is determined by your immigration status (shown on your I-94 record) and your immigration documents (Form I-20, Form DS-2019, or Form I-797). 

The Visa Application

  • Pay SEVIS fee» (only required for J visa).  Please keep your receipt for documentation purposes. 
  • Apply for an U.S. entry visa» at a U.S. embassy or consulate to enter the United States.  The visa application will require, among other things, supporting documentation (Form DS-2019 for J applicants, Form I-797 for H-1B applicants) from KU and documents showing your financial support while at KU.
  • Schedule visa interview at U.S. embassy or consulate.  Each consulate or embassy will have unique wait times for an appointment.

After you receive your passport with your visa, please check to make sure that all the information printed on the visa is correct.  If any information on your visa does not match the information in your passport or is incorrect, please contact the embassy that issued your visa.  Lastly, please notify your KU host department with your anticipated arrival date.

*Canadian Citizens are exempt from U.S. visa requirements and do not need to obtain a U.S. visa stamp for entry to the U.S.  However, Canadian citizens still must obtain the relevant sponsorship documents provided by the Office of International Programs at KU (Form DS-2019 for J applicants, Form I-797 for H-1B applicants).

International Calendar

One of the first 12 intensive English programs in the United States
Each semester year, the AEC enrolls about 250 students representing more than 35 countries on six continents.
Start working on your degree now! You can take university classes for credit at the same time you are taking English classes.
Earn university credits now! You can use 9 AEC credits as elective credits toward your KU degree in the College of Liberal Arts & Sciences, Business, and Architecture.
Fulfill a university requirement! Completion of your English proficiency requirements means you have finished your foreign language requirement at the University of Kansas.
We have computers just for you! The AEC has its own computer lab that AEC students can use for free.
We have tutoring just for you! The AEC has an Academic Resource Center where AEC students can get free tutoring from AEC teachers.
We have Conversation Groups just for you! You can practice your English language conversation skills at our AEC Conversation Groups.
Need help? Have a question? The AEC has a team of cross-cultural advisors ready to answer your questions and help you with any problem you are facing.
We are experts at what we do! AEC faculty and administrators have a total of 701 years in International Education.