Services for International Employees & Scholars

Visa Summary

J-1 Research Scholar / Professor

The J-1 visa allows universities to sponsor international researchers and professors to participate in educational and cultural programs in the United States. This category has a maximum stay of five years and is primarily used by researchers (postdoctoral and postgraduate appointments, and visiting faculty.  This visa category takes the least amount of time to process.  The researcher / professor may become subject to the two year home country residency requirement.  Spouses which hold dependent status (J-2) may apply for work authorization.

J-1 Short Term Scholar

Very similar to the J-1 Research Scholar / Professor category with the exception that this visa category has a maximum stay of six months.

H-1B Temporary Worker

A temporary worker visa designated for individuals coming temporarily to the United States to work in a specialty occupation.  This visa category has a maximum stay of six years, and the visa is employer and position specific.  At KU, this visa is most commonly used for tenure-track faculty and associate researcher positions.  The processing time is lengthy (4-6 months) and there is a wage threshold requirement.

O-1 visa

A temporary worker visa designated for individuals of extraordinary ability in the sciences, education, business, arts or athletics.  Applicants must demonstrate sustained national and/or international acclaim and recognition for achievements.  At the moment International Programs will only consider tenure-track faculty appointments.  Application material must be assembled by  applicant and department, which can take several months.  There are few advantages over the H-1B visa.

TN visa

Enables Canadian and Mexican citizens to be admitted to the United States to engage in "business activities at a professional level" in certain occupations. The applicant must be employed by KU and profession must be on the NAFTA list.  Spouses in TD status are not permitted to work.

F-1 Optional Practical Training

For those in F-1 status who have completed a degree program in the United States and have received employment authorization from USCIS to work in a field related to their field of study.  The maximum period of employment is twelve months.  The degree granting institution maintains immigration advising responsibilities.

B Visitor visa

The B-1 visa is for a visitor coming to the United States generally for short term business.  The B-2 visa is generally for pleasure or medical treatment.  This visa category has restrictive criteria on payment of honoraria and/or reimbursement of expenses.


International Calendar

One of the first 12 intensive English programs in the United States
Each semester year, the AEC enrolls about 250 students representing more than 35 countries on six continents.
Start working on your degree now! You can take university classes for credit at the same time you are taking English classes.
Earn university credits now! You can use 9 AEC credits as elective credits toward your KU degree in the College of Liberal Arts & Sciences, Business, and Architecture.
Fulfill a university requirement! Completion of your English proficiency requirements means you have finished your foreign language requirement at the University of Kansas.
We have computers just for you! The AEC has its own computer lab that AEC students can use for free.
We have tutoring just for you! The AEC has an Academic Resource Center where AEC students can get free tutoring from AEC teachers.
We have Conversation Groups just for you! You can practice your English language conversation skills at our AEC Conversation Groups.
Need help? Have a question? The AEC has a team of cross-cultural advisors ready to answer your questions and help you with any problem you are facing.
We are experts at what we do! AEC faculty and administrators have a total of 701 years in International Education.