Services for International Employees & Scholars

Visa Renewal

Expired Visas

If your U.S. visa stamp in your passport has expired and you travel outside the U.S., you must obtain a new visa before you return (with the exception of those eligible to use Automatic Revalidation).  It is not possible to renew a visa stamp from inside the United States. Applying for a new U.S. visa stamp usually requires several weeks so you must plan your travel accordingly. Certain visa applicants may be subject to further screening or Administrative Processing which can add 4-12 additional weeks to complete the visa application review and issuance. If you have questions about administrative processing or if you are experiencing a lengthy delay please contact International Programs.

Applying for a visa in a third country

Most international visitors will be able to apply for a new U.S. visa in a country that is not their home country. However there are exceptions. Before making your travel arrangements, carefully review the guidelines on the web site of the U.S. Embassy to which you will submit your application. This is particularly important if you have been subject to administrative processing during previous visa applications.

If you plan to visit Canada or Mexico to apply for a U.S. visa stamp, it is particularly important that you check the website of the U.S. consulate to which you will submit your application. You will find instructions about how to make the visa appointment. If you are an individual who has been subject to administrative processing during past visa appointments, you will want to think carefully before applying for a U.S. visa in a third country. Once a U.S. visa application is submitted you cannot use the Automatic Revalidation provision to return to the U.S.

International Calendar

One of the first 12 intensive English programs in the United States
Each semester year, the AEC enrolls about 250 students representing more than 35 countries on six continents.
Start working on your degree now! You can take university classes for credit at the same time you are taking English classes.
Earn university credits now! You can use 9 AEC credits as elective credits toward your KU degree in the College of Liberal Arts & Sciences, Business, and Architecture.
Fulfill a university requirement! Completion of your English proficiency requirements means you have finished your foreign language requirement at the University of Kansas.
We have computers just for you! The AEC has its own computer lab that AEC students can use for free.
We have tutoring just for you! The AEC has an Academic Resource Center where AEC students can get free tutoring from AEC teachers.
We have Conversation Groups just for you! You can practice your English language conversation skills at our AEC Conversation Groups.
Need help? Have a question? The AEC has a team of cross-cultural advisors ready to answer your questions and help you with any problem you are facing.
We are experts at what we do! AEC faculty and administrators have a total of 701 years in International Education.