Services for International Employees & Scholars


Most childcare in the U.S. is not supported by the government and is privately owned.  Families are responsible for finding suitable childcare.  There are a variety of different types of childcare available in Lawrence ranging from full-time daycare centers that typically operate during regular work hours 7:30am to 5:30pm to in-home private daycare.  All childcare facilities including in-home daycare providers are required to be licensed by the state of Kansas.  As a parent you can review the annual evaluation and any official complaints that have been made for any daycare facility at the State of Kansas Child Care Licensing» website. 

Childcare centers can be expensive ranging from $450-$1,100 per month depending on the age of the child and the type of facility.  There can be wait lists so it is best to enroll as early as possible.  Many childcare facilities offer separate part-time preschool programs or integrate preschool into their regular full-time care.  Below are a few facilities that that are located on campus:

Important: there may not be openings in your desired chidcare facilitiy rightaway. Plan ahead and sign up so that you are on the wait list.

Childcare Aware — Kansas Department of Health and Environment:

Phone: 785-823-3343
Toll Free: 855-750-3343
Resource Center: 877-678-2548"

If you are looking for information about childcare licensing, or what type of questions to ask your potential childcare facility, this association does a great job of putting resources together.

Steps to Take by the Lawrence-Douglas County Health Department

  • Call ERC Resource and Referral 1-800-279-2372 for child care openings.
  • Tour the facility you are considering to ensure it’s safe.
  • Request an Open Records request of any facility you are interested in. For more information, visit Public Health Protection», then click on “Child Care Licensing –FAQs.”
  • Ask if the facility is licensed or registered. (Registered homes are not inspected by the Health Department, licensed homes are inspected once a year). Certificate should be conspicuously posted.
  • Check out State of Kansas regulations».
  • Be sure to fill out all paperwork before enrolling your child.
  • Call the Health Department at 785-843-3060 to report any facility that is not licensed or registered and is providing care to non-relatives.

International Calendar

One of the first 12 intensive English programs in the United States
Each semester year, the AEC enrolls about 250 students representing more than 35 countries on six continents.
Start working on your degree now! You can take university classes for credit at the same time you are taking English classes.
Earn university credits now! You can use 9 AEC credits as elective credits toward your KU degree in the College of Liberal Arts & Sciences, Business, and Architecture.
Fulfill a university requirement! Completion of your English proficiency requirements means you have finished your foreign language requirement at the University of Kansas.
We have computers just for you! The AEC has its own computer lab that AEC students can use for free.
We have tutoring just for you! The AEC has an Academic Resource Center where AEC students can get free tutoring from AEC teachers.
We have Conversation Groups just for you! You can practice your English language conversation skills at our AEC Conversation Groups.
Need help? Have a question? The AEC has a team of cross-cultural advisors ready to answer your questions and help you with any problem you are facing.
We are experts at what we do! AEC faculty and administrators have a total of 701 years in International Education.