Services for International Employees & Scholars

J-1 Scholar Application Instructions

To begin the J-1 Scholar Application, an academic unit at the University of Kansas must start the process in iHawk.  If a professor at KU has already invited you, they can learn how to start the J-1 Scholar Application in the "For Department" section of this website.  Once your academic unit submits the first form, you will receive an email.  You will be instructed to login using a temporary username and PIN through limited services.  If you have previously been at KU, you will be promoted to use your KU ID number and PIN.  Please use limited services.  

Once you have access to iHawk, please follow these directions to submit eforms.

  •  Login to iHawk through limited services
  •  Click on Departmental Services
  •  Click on J-1 Scholar Application link
  •  Fill out the your desired eform

Documents required for each eform:

J-1 Applicant Information
  • pdf copy of passport
J-1 Funding Information
  • copy of funding letter.  Possible examples include, HR offer letter, letter from home university, personal bank statement, letter from government agency.  If letter is not in English, please also include a translation.
Dependent Family Members
  • pdf copy of dependent's passport
J-1 English Language Ability
  • documentation to support chosen option on form.  KU faculty member will review and approve documentation.

International Calendar

One of the first 12 intensive English programs in the United States
Each semester year, the AEC enrolls about 250 students representing more than 35 countries on six continents.
Start working on your degree now! You can take university classes for credit at the same time you are taking English classes.
Earn university credits now! You can use 9 AEC credits as elective credits toward your KU degree in the College of Liberal Arts & Sciences, Business, and Architecture.
Fulfill a university requirement! Completion of your English proficiency requirements means you have finished your foreign language requirement at the University of Kansas.
We have computers just for you! The AEC has its own computer lab that AEC students can use for free.
We have tutoring just for you! The AEC has an Academic Resource Center where AEC students can get free tutoring from AEC teachers.
We have Conversation Groups just for you! You can practice your English language conversation skills at our AEC Conversation Groups.
Need help? Have a question? The AEC has a team of cross-cultural advisors ready to answer your questions and help you with any problem you are facing.
We are experts at what we do! AEC faculty and administrators have a total of 701 years in International Education.