Services for International Employees & Scholars

Schedule a U.S. Visa Appointment

To schedule an appointment, you will need to follow the directions of the specific embassy/consulate» you will go through. The U.S. Department of State website» has a list of U.S. government application forms that are also required in a visa application. We strongly recommend that you look at the embassy/consulate website you will go through for information about required documentation because this may vary from country to country.

After you receive your visa, please check the information printed on the visa is correct.  If any of the information on your visa does not match the information on your passport or it is incorrect, please contact the Nonimmigrant Visa section of the U.S. embassy or consulate that issued the visa.


Each visa category will require specific documentation. Please also check with the embassy/consulate you will visit for additional documentation that embassy/consulate requires.

  • Original Form I-797, Approval Notice from USCIS which is valid for a period beyond the anticipated travel.
  • Copy of Form I-129, the H-1B petition provided by IP during approval.
  • Copy of Labor Condition Application.
  • Employment Offer letter from KU (or letter of current employment and 3 most recent KU paychecks).
  • Valid passport.
  • If you were previously in J-1 status with a two-year home residency requirement, you must present your original I-612 waiver approval notice with you visa application.
  • Valid Form DS-2019 (issed by International Programs).
  • Invitation letter from KU faculty member.
  • Funding documentation.
  • Valid passport.

Please note that Canadian Citizens do not need to apply for a visa, while Mexican citizens will need to apply for a TN visa at a U.S. embassy/consulate.

  • Employer letter issed by hiring department (this is a template letter that International Program possesses).
  • Human Resources offer letter.
  • Copy of your degree certificate (diploma).
  • Valid passport.


Tips for obtaining a non-immigrant visa

Please remember that a J-1 visa is a non-immigrant visa, meaning that persons applying for this type of visa must demonstrate that they do not intend to immigrate to the U.S.  It is important that during your visa interview you are prepared to discuss your future life plans, including potential career paths, that include your return to your home country.

What to do if your visa is denied

Remain calm and ask for the reason for the denial in writing.  Once you have received the denial take some time to write down as much about the interview as you can remember (i.e. the questions you were asked, the answers you provided and any supporting documentation that you provided to the consulate).  Email this visa interview summary to an International Programs advisor and we will review your denial and advise you on how to proceed.  You may reapply for a visa again, but it is not advisable to do so until/unless you can provide new and compelling information.  An overview of information about visa denials can be found at:»

International Calendar

One of the first 12 intensive English programs in the United States
Each semester year, the AEC enrolls about 250 students representing more than 35 countries on six continents.
Start working on your degree now! You can take university classes for credit at the same time you are taking English classes.
Earn university credits now! You can use 9 AEC credits as elective credits toward your KU degree in the College of Liberal Arts & Sciences, Business, and Architecture.
Fulfill a university requirement! Completion of your English proficiency requirements means you have finished your foreign language requirement at the University of Kansas.
We have computers just for you! The AEC has its own computer lab that AEC students can use for free.
We have tutoring just for you! The AEC has an Academic Resource Center where AEC students can get free tutoring from AEC teachers.
We have Conversation Groups just for you! You can practice your English language conversation skills at our AEC Conversation Groups.
Need help? Have a question? The AEC has a team of cross-cultural advisors ready to answer your questions and help you with any problem you are facing.
We are experts at what we do! AEC faculty and administrators have a total of 701 years in International Education.